View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi azmanatheart,

Unfortunately your tooth is very sick and it needs to be removed as soon as you can before it becomes a full blown abscess. There is a strong likelihood that the bacteria that has been brewing in this tooth since the root canal was done 10 years ago has already spread to the jaw bone. So this is not something to wait on. Yes, please see an oral surgeon for the removal and not a general dentist or a periodontist.

Let us know how things go. You will be okay, just don't wait.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmanatheart View Post
Hi,
I had a 12 year upper molar that had a root canal and a gold crown about 10 years old. The other day while eating a soft muffin, it just came off with no apparent reason. Looking at the bottom of the crown, I could see it was almost entirely black,(I assume all decay) with a very small thread like amount of healthy tooth that had been holding it on. I am left with a space and gum that has some decaying pieces sticking up, and I'm sure no way to put a crown back on. I have no wisdom tooth behind it, so there is little left to chew with on that side.
My questions is, I assume this needs to be surgically removed by an oral surgeon, or can it be left like that? My sense is that it is rotten, and I can taste the decay(probably smells in my breath, too), do these decaying roots pose a health risk? Should I be running to the oral surgeon, or do I have time?

Thanks!
Azmanatheart

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote