View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

I went to see my regular dentist yesterday and he told me not to worry. According to him it was perfectly normal for my second molar to still feel sensitive. Even after 2 months.
However, he also mentioned that there was a tiny piece of filling missing in that particular tooth, but that it was nothing urgent. But what does that mean?
Since my former dentist (unfortunately) retired, this was only my second appointment with my new dentist & I never heard a thing like this before.
Normally, when part of a filling goes missing, don't they set another appointment straight away?
Also, I don't feel like anything is missing, nor is the tooth abnormally sensitive to cold air.
He also took a look at an x-ray that was taken last April (by another dentist in the office, who at the time said that everything looked fine) & he began talking about taking out several amalgam fillings & having them replaced. He said nothing was really wrong with them, but "just in case". It was up to me he said.
Now this I completely don't understand! Those fillings can't be older than 10 years & I take good care of my teeth. Now why would he suggest a thing like that? I'm kinda losing faith in my new dentist.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Frederique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Frederique,

Welcome and thank you for the positive comments!

It is normal for the adjacent tooth to be sensitive after the wisdom tooth is removed. Sometimes the wisdom tooth was in close proximity to the second molar and once the wisdom tooth is removed that portion of second molar that was covered by the wisdom tooth is now exposed. Sometimes a very small area of the jaw bone that covered a portion of the second molar was removed because it was attached to the wisdom tooth or it splintered off during the removal and that could result in some gum recession exposing a tiny bit of the root surface of the second molar.

Generally as the bone and gum tissue heal, the sensitivity goes away. But sometimes the gum recedes in that spot more than normal and the tooth remains a bit sensitive to cold air or the bristle of your tooth brush or the scraping of your fingernail.

It is truly best to have your general dentist examine that area to be sure that the second molar in not cracked, that the filling in that tooth is still intact and to monitor the recession in that area. He should also check the depth of the pocket around that entire tooth to be sure it is within normal limits.

I would also advise that you not chew on that area until the soreness subsides.

Hope you find this information helpful. Check back and let us know how you are doing!
Bryanna
Frederique1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote