View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Neurologist appointment:Discrepancy between severity of accident and my injuries and

Hello all,

Back again as I'm struggling and confused.

Just a quick recap for those that haven't read my infrequent posts: I was assaulted in December 2013 by a service user at work, I was grabbed by the hair and sustained a whiplash injury, intense headaches that wouldn't go away with painkillers and nausea but wasn't officially diagnosed with a concussion.

I was off work for a month but had no cognitive problems.

In January 2014 someone rear ended my car in standstill traffic and I sustained whiplash again. I immediately started experiencing cognitive symptoms which have not improved and have badly affected my life.
I haven't worked since December last year.

Fyi I live in the UK.

I have finally seen someone other than my GP regarding my cognitive problems.
On Wednesday I saw a neurologist for the insurance claim.

He said there was a discrepancy between my accident and how major my symptoms are and basically said I couldn't have got a concussion as I didn't hit my head or lose consciousness.
He asked me why I think I'm having these cognitive problems and i said I didn't know and had been hoping hew could answer that!

He said he thinks it's likely these problems are psychological (I am so tired of being told this), although I have no history of depression, anxiety or cognitive problems, I had no cognitive problems after the December accident but immediate and continuous problems after the second accident and I didn't develop depression or anxiety problems until July this year, so I don't understand how these issues could be psychological.

He pretty much dismissed the idea of me having PCS.

I must say though, the guy did seem pretty good, he was clear that he doesn't have a full picture as he hasn't read all the medical notes or reports, he said he'll need those and the results of a full Neuropsych test etc before he can write a report or come to any conclusions.

I'd really appreciate hearing other people's experience of seeing a neurologist and what people know about whiplash and concussions. Online reading indicates it is possible, but is it unlikely?

Anyone in the UK who could comment on the process they experienced through the NHS, I'd really like to hear from you.
I've got my NHS appointment with a neurologist in two weeks, I'm just wondering how long till I might get tested/treated now I'm in the system and what happens next?

Thanks,
Abbi
Abbilee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote