View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default "What happened to you?"

This is what the first person I saw yesterday asked me. I use my cane whenever I'm outside of the house now because falling isn't my favourite pastime. I can't believe how many people ask me why I have it though.

I realize I look young (I am 30, but I look younger) and it's not usual to see a younger person walking with a cane, but I was hoping that the general population would be considerate enough not to comment on it right off the bat.

I've been asked if I was in a car accident, if I slipped and fell, or just a demand for an answer on why I have it. I also have caught a few people staring which is not cool (thanks cashier at Walmart!). I have realized this is all just something I'm going to have to become okay with and not let it bother me. I tell everyone who asks that I have MS, why lie? I just don't like it when it turns into a conversation on how their second cousin twice removed has MS and how they're running marathons, or how (fill in the blank) cures MS (but of course Big Pharma doesn't want that information leaked!). Makes me wonder if I should come up with another story. I wish I could just go on without having to talk about it, but as soon as the cane was added to the mix, it appears I can't.

How do you deal?!?!
MSbelle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (12-08-2014), jprinz99 (12-16-2014), Kitty (12-08-2014), LoveCats (12-08-2014), SallyC (12-08-2014)