View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh_ac View Post
I have stopped talking about my pain unless someone notices my stide is off, more limping etc. I have also been asking the CRNA about doing some trigger point injections or my nerve blocks. He is just not comfortable with "shooting" me it seems. My spouse seems to think if I would just "do more" makes me want to screem at him. The other night he was having muscle spasams in his back and was fussing about it. Told him welcome to my world take your meds and go do something. He slept on the couch that night! He was very suportive with my intial injury (in 1998) but does not recall or care about things that make my pain worse.
Pooh - I could have written this. I suffered catastrophic injuries in an MVA. I hide my pain, as much as possible. If my husband notices a wince, he tells me the pain is my fault because I don't do anything. OMG!!!! Couldn't be the spinal cord damage, twisted hips, torn to shred shoulders, etc..., It's bad enough to be in chronic pain - but to be BLAMED for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been a complainer or a slacker. I worked my butt off to beat my devastating prognosis and regain what function I've got. I make dinner, do stuff for our child, etc..., etc... all in horrendous pain.

My PT is always telling me I'm amazing and she doesn't know how I do it. My husband tells me I'm lazy and self-indulgent. This, from a man who treats hangnail removal like it was arm amputation, without anesthesia.

So I just shut my mouth, fake a smile and soldier on. It's lonely inside our little pain cocoons, isn't it?
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (12-16-2014), PamelaJune (12-10-2014)