View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Minor TBI, possible CSF leaking in ear?

11/18/2014 - While playing racquetball with friends I fell backwards onto the floor, landing on my right buttocks area but my momentum carried my head into the back wall. A re-enforced, solid concrete wall. I immediately experienced numbness in both arms, believed to be due to a cervical spine strain, the left side of my neck was locked up tight with a spasm. When I couldn't feel my arms, I rolled to my stomach, at which time I experienced a rush of clear-ish fluid discharge from my nose, at the end was bright neon yellow.

After passing a concussion protocol administered by a certified athletic trainer at the facility, I still opted for an ER visit. I was (and still am) concerned about the fluid. At the ER, they did a CT scan, looking from the top of my head down to my clavicles. They said everything was fine, except for what they called an "incidental" finding of fluid in my Left Maxillary sinus. The fluid discharge came out the right side.

The ER concluded that I had a minor head injury, but insisted I did not have a concussion and that I strained my cervical spine. They gave me pain pills and muscle relaxers and told me to watch for concussion symptoms like nausea, dizziness, blurry vision, etc......all of which I had, but all of which were possible side effects of the pills. I'm convinced I did have a minor concussion, because along with all of the other signs, I also had light sensitivity for a couple of days.

11/19/2014 - It is not extraordinary for me to need to blow my nose in the morning when I first wake up, because I do suffer from some sinus/allergy issues. But, that next morning when I woke I felt like a REALLY needed to blow my nose. When I did, I had a mess in the tissue of a mix of bloody mucus, with more of the yellow fluid. It mostly came from the Left nostril, from what I could tell. For about 8 days post-trauma, I had a few instances of this yellow fluid coming out, but it only happened when I blew my nose.

11/20/2014 - As instructed, I followed up with my family doctor (actually his PA) who said that everything was fine and he was not concerned about the fluid. When I asked about the possibility of a CSF leak, he said absolutely not and didn't even entertain the possibility.

11/21/2014 - I went to my regular chiropractor to address the issue with my neck, whom after I described everything advised me to see an ENT.

12/01/2014 - I saw the PA at the office of an ENT I have seen off and on for a few years. She prescribed a course of antibiotics (amoxicillin), to clear up any possibility of infection and concern over the fluid in the Left maxillary sinus. She also gave me a specimen cup to collect any strange fluids, but the problem with that is other than at the time of injury, I haven't had a gush of fluid that I could collect. I just sometimes get clear liquid when I blow my nose, which is sticky most of the time. I am now scheduled for a front view CT tomorrow.

The issue that has me nervous about everything is the near constant salty tasting post nasal drip I am having, accompanied with the fact that my right ear feels like it blocks up with fluid, then unblocks. This is occurring all the time and is worse when I lay on my right side. I saw my chiropractor again today and for several hours after the visit, my ears were opened up, but I had the sensation of drainage and a warmth on the right side. I have also been having minor pins and needles feelings on my scalp, near where I hit my head but also toward the front. I don't get headaches or anything, just strange sensations. I am also having tinnitus that varies in intensity.

I am just really hoping to soon get some answers about the symptoms, because the pre-occupation of worry and concern is severely affecting my life. I am having trouble sleeping. I have trouble focusing on tasks or even enjoying TV or movies because I am in constant "on guard" mode with the stuff I am feeling, tasting, etc.

I do have a picture of the yellow fluid, but the board won't let me post it because I am a new user.

---
Regards,

rreihart
rreihart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (12-09-2014)