View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Frederique,

Sometimes a piece of a filling has come out or broken off and we are unable to see it in the mirror. However, even something really tiny but deep could cause discomfort.

Regarding mercury fillings...... two things:

1) All mercury fillings are highly toxic. Mercury in every form in every application is toxic and can cause or contribute to a slew of health problems. Mercury is not a safe material to use in our teeth and many countries are making it illegal to use it. Mercury is affected by temperature and pressure. Meaning every time you chew, every time you eat or drink something warm or hot, every time you brush your teeth, you release mercury from those fillings into your oral tissue and beyond. The vapors are toxic and never dissipate. This is something the dentist who placed them, should have informed you of.

2) Removing mercury fillings should only be done by someone who takes this toxicity seriously and follows the proper removal protocol. Otherwise, the removal of those fillings can be irreversibly toxic to you.

This is the proper removal protocol:
http://iaomt.org/safe-removal-amalgam-fillings/

Regarding the urgency of repairing the broken filling in that second molar, the dentist may feel that it is best to allow that surgical area to heal a bit more before he goes near there with an air powered drill. Simply because the air from the drill can throw bacteria into an open area of a recently surgerized area that could result in a problem.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederique1 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

I went to see my regular dentist yesterday and he told me not to worry. According to him it was perfectly normal for my second molar to still feel sensitive. Even after 2 months.
However, he also mentioned that there was a tiny piece of filling missing in that particular tooth, but that it was nothing urgent. But what does that mean?
Since my former dentist (unfortunately) retired, this was only my second appointment with my new dentist & I never heard a thing like this before.
Normally, when part of a filling goes missing, don't they set another appointment straight away?
Also, I don't feel like anything is missing, nor is the tooth abnormally sensitive to cold air.
He also took a look at an x-ray that was taken last April (by another dentist in the office, who at the time said that everything looked fine) & he began talking about taking out several amalgam fillings & having them replaced. He said nothing was really wrong with them, but "just in case". It was up to me he said.
Now this I completely don't understand! Those fillings can't be older than 10 years & I take good care of my teeth. Now why would he suggest a thing like that? I'm kinda losing faith in my new dentist.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Frederique

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote