View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karilann View Post
Sometimes when I move my eyes from side to side...I hear a swish sound. I told my doc and she seemed to know what it was.....but didn't tell me anything.
Anyone else had this?
You may have a condition called "Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome". Google it. Hearing your eyes moving when you move them (to me, it sounded like softly rubbing sandpaper on wood and I could usually only hear it when I was in a quiet room) is exclusive to only SCDS. It doesn't happen with any other condition. It is caused when there is a small hole in the temporal bone, which is the bone that separates the brain from the inner ear. It can be fixed when a neurotologist plugs the hole or resurfaces the hole with bone cement. I had this same condition and it was repaired through a middle fossa craniotoy (brain surgery). The moment I woke up from surgery, I could no longer hear my eyes moving. All my other symptoms were gone after the recovery period. There are many other symptoms of SCDS, such as tinnitus, hyperacusis (sensitivity to noise), hearing other internal sounds like your pulse in your ears, and more. There are support groups on Facebook and on the Internet where you can find support and get more information about the condition. Most doctors and some ENT's are ignorant and clueless about this disease. I had to see 6 different ENT's before I was correctly diagnosed. You have to find one (or a neurotologist) who is skilled and has experience with SCDS.
goolia75 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jowilk74 (09-21-2016), mrsD (12-13-2014)