View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 11:07 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Surgery - Mon, Dec. 15th!

Hi TOSers,

I am having surgery at University of Virginia in TWO days w/Dr. Ken Cherry. I will let you know how it goes. To give some background in case it may help someone:

-Nov. 2013: excruciating breast/shoulder/armpit pain, tingling, itching. Everything from cancer to MS to thyroid was ruled out during MONTHS of testing. I also had blue veins across my chest, shoulders, and armpits.

April 2014: Tried PT...felt worse and started choking on foods while eating

June 2014: Tried different PT...this helped. They only did massage. I also got weekly myofascial massages which were helpful. But could not keep this up forever as it is $$$$$$$$! This PT was not covered by insurance, either.

July 2014: Went to UVA and Dr. heard bruit when raised my left arm. Of course when I went back later that month it was gone! The MRA I did also did not show obstruction. This was devastating as I thought I had finally found the problem...

Oct 2014: Back to UVA as I am no longer driving/exercising like I love to do/writing on chalkboard (I am a teacher). Desperate for help. Bring copies of articles by Dr. Collins showing that yes, I have some symptoms that may not be caused by TOS (red, painful eyes, feet tingling), but a lot of them (trouble swallowing, face pain) could be TOS related.

At this time, the first doctor I saw called in the surgeon who does TOS surgeries. He does this surgery for the UVA baseball team also. Anyway, he felt over my scalene and said I had a "fullness" there and also that where my artery is, is way too high, and in most people's it is much lower.

So, I am having the R side done first. Scalenes, rib resection, and P-minor, he also will look at costoclavicular ligament. I convinced him to do pec minor. He did not want to b/c he hates to give
"a pretty girl a scar". I said I don't care about that. I want to be able to drive, push the shopping cart, stroller, etc.

I should note that prior to my symptoms I had a child (2 months before) and had a horrendous case of mastitis which I am certain played a role in this.

Anyway- hope that can help someone. I will be updating after surgery. I hope I can get my life back. This last year has been horrible...to say the least.
lindsayshealth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote