View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update after Extraction- Perforated Sinus

Thank you for your previous response, it was very helpful.
I did try to see an Oral Surgeon, who's first available appt(despite telling them I was in pain) was Jan 6th. 4 days ago, this 'root' became extremely painful and needed immediate attention, so I was referred to another Oral Surgeon who was able to take me right away.
He worked very fast and was a bit rough, but thanks to the laughing gas, I was able to handle it. The tooth roots were stubborn, and since they were below the gum line, there was a lot of cutting. At one point he was using a hammer and chisel, I guess to break it apart, but I thought he was going to give me concussion, it felt so hard. When he finally got one of the roots out, I could feel something in my sinus, which I immediately told him. He said he didnt think so, and said' Let's pray to God that's not so', which really got my antenna up.
Post op. my sinus was immediately draining profusely down through the wound the 1st day. He called me that to night to check on me(that was a first for a Dr. to call and see how I was feeling) and I told him about the sinus drainage again. He said that he put 'something' in there to close it up, even though he still didn't think the sinus was perforated! He gave me instructions not to suck on a straw, or other things that might cause that opening to not heal up. Second day, don't feel as much drainage from sinus, but do feel a lot of mucous in the opening of the wound under the stitches. Day 3, my jawbone is extremely tender and the area feels more sore than ever, despite taking Levaquin(nasty stuff).
Question is, do these things heal and does the opening to the sinus heal up and close when there is active drainage? When I think back, I have often had problems with that maxillary sinus, does not drain properly since it dips down so low, and years ago a dentascan revealed a partial septation on the floor of the sinus that trapped fluid. I'm wondering if that root was always slightly in the sinus, and removing created a new method of drainage.
So, what is the downside of having your sinus drain through a hole in the gum, besides the salty taste and extra mucous? Is it prone to infection, does it cause bad breath? And how, if it stays open, can it be closed?
By the way, I got a greeting card from the Dr. wishing me well and thanking me for my business. Is he being nice, or is he concerned about something and not telling me?) Maybe I', a bad person for being suspicious, but I have never had a Dr. be so 'friendly'.
Thank you!
azmanatheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote