Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face

How old is/are the child(ren)?
Is there a small child and also a teen?

What type of treatment is needed? Occasional use, or daily? If daily, for how long a period?

===================

Assuming 6 years or older, for now (teen is fine):

Chamomile is a fairly benign herb that is safe for children. A cup of chamomile tea, brewed a full 5 minutes, can be enough. *caution: this herb is a member of daisy family -- unsuitable if the child is allergic to daisies or similar flowers.

Lemon Balm (melissa) is another relaxing and benign one. Again the herbal tea. Brew for 8-10 mins. Check the labeling as some "lemon balm" teas contain hardly any lemon balm and mostly lemon verbena, for flavoring.

=================
Other, stronger herbs are valerian, passiflora, and kava. Please do not give these to a child without expert guidance, i.e., from an MD with specialization in herbal medicine. These herbs/drugs have pronounced activity on the brain that is similar to a benzo. Passiflora has also been implicated in opioid pathways. Most regular doctors will not be aware of the mechanics of these herbs.
=================

In Europe all anxiolytics are available in liquid drops. Some countries also have elixirs. I'm not aware of any such formulation in the US I'm afraid, but you could ask your pharmacist.

Many benzo's do come in orosoluble wafer formulations, in the US. Also if you got something in a capsule you could open it and stir the powder into a small bit of juice.

But wouldn't it be better to get a doctor involved here, if the problem is bad enough to need meds? There might be other, more suitable solutions.

waves

Last edited by waves; 12-15-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fixed word
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-15-2014), Dmom3005 (12-15-2014), Mari (12-15-2014), mymorgy (12-16-2014)