View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Back and concussed again

Hello everyone!

You may remember me. I used to post here as StupidRugger, but realized that the name is a bit harsh.
I always felt like I was at fault for my first concussion (by playing rugby), but I've come around since then.

In October of 2012 I had a concussion that put me out of school for 3 months. I didn't exercise properly for around 6, and later on went and got some neck rehab done. I finished my senior thesis and graduated in May of 2013! Got a job and things have been good.

Unfortunately, on 12/7 I stood up too fast under a shelf and beamed myself hard. I saw stars and ended up on the floor in pain. I got a big goose egg and a good amount of tenderness and swelling. I denied to myself that I had another concussion. I went to work the next two days, which was a mistake.

My job is in forestry, so I was outside doing hard physical labor. Every night I slept 12+ hours and felt terrible. Finally on 12/10 I had to have my boss drive me home. I had a major headache, nausea, and dizziness. I spent the next few days sleeping and staying away from screens as much as possible (luckily our internet was out, too!). Went to the doctor - concussion!

And here I am now. I still have some "ice-pick" headaches (short headaches that come and go). I tried walking 2 miles today and got quite a bit of nausea. I haven't dared gone back to work, and I asked to take medical leave the rest of December. Cognitively, I feel sharp and fine. I did a few luminosity games and I wasn't any worse than I was a year ago. The headaches, nausea, and anxiety are my main symptoms. My neck also hurts like you won't believe - I haven't exactly been treating it kindly with my current job.

So, I think it's important to share my experience and remind everyone that even something as benign as a shelf can cause a concussion. This is making me reevaluate my career track. I fell a lot of trees for work and have already had a few close calls. I'm terrified now of putting myself at risk for another head injury.
SillyRugger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote