View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Confused Root Canal- infection- extraction - when will it end???

I had a root canal performed on tooth # 5, ten years ago. Two years after the root canal treatment I noticed a pimple-like bump on the outer gums above the same tooth. I never had pain, just the drainage spot which came and went for months at a time over the years. About 1 year ago I decided to look into having the issue fixed because I developed a hard bump on the roof of my mouth near the tooth. I had 4 opinions, *ranging from "retreat" to "there is nothing wrong." I then saw an endodontist who recomended I have a deep cleaning in the area and take 2 weeks of Amoxocilin to see if the infection clears. Needless to say it didn't work so I immediately saw a Periodontist who cut my gums open and really cleaned the infection (1/3 of the hard bump was removed) , stitched me up and sent me home with 2 more weeks of Amoxicillin. 2 weeks or so later I had the stitches removed and still had the pimple and also the hard bump.

I waited a few months, received a few more opinions and decided to pull the tooth. 3 weeks ago I started antibiotics for a sinus infecion likely related to the tooth infection (i was told by dentist and surgeon.) *2 weeks ago, the Dental Surgeon removed the tooth and said it looked really infected but only seemed to rinse the opening where the tooth was for maybe 10 seconds. *I had assumed he would cut my gums and clean for 40 minutes like the Periodontist had but nope. *That was it. I said I was breastfeeding and had amoxicilin from the sinus infection and was told to just continue that. They didnt ask how many days of meds I had left but I had around 7. Also, *They said there was no follow up. *If something seemed wrong I was to see my regular dentist.*

1 week later (also 1 week ago.) I had a consult with an Endodontist for the tooth next to the "problematic tooth" #4. He said I was healing fine and tooth#4 needed a root canal treatment and it was safe to perform even tho the infection in #5, was still possibly present. He then completed the root canal. Since I am breastfeeding he said to just finish my last 3 days with the amoxicillin from the sinus infection (I heard him prescribing Clyndamicin to everyone else. ).*

Now the week has past and I feel the hard bump on the roof of my mouth getting bigger since I stopped taking the amoxocilin. I don't know who to see, what procedure to ask for or how long to wait to really check if the infection goes away. *

I would like to get pregnant which is why I am trying to positively know when the infection clears. *

Any help is much appreciated! ! Sorry for the long history of my issue. *
civic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote