View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown Foley Catheter Question....Nurses?

Haven't posted in awhile since it seems all I have to mention are complaints, but here goes another....sorry

A short background.....SPMS, legs don't work, use a powerchair, can't tell when I have to urinate, severe lymphedema in my lower legs and feet from immobility, now have a pump/boots that help if I could use it more often. I have a home health nurse who comes in twice a week to care for my legs and also my indwelling Foley catheter. An aide also comes in twice a week for three hours each time to help dress, bathe, light housekeeping, etc. Cleaning people every Wednesday afternoon who also grocery shop, pick up prescriptions, bank, etc. They've been helping me for 16 years so have become good friends....two sisters around my age.....71....diagnosed in 1990 but believe it began in 1976 after third child was born. Divorced same year as diagnosed, so have traveled this MS road mainly alone.

Anyway, the problem, have used the foley a little over two years now. Have had quite a few UTI's. The doctor doesn't want it changed more than once a month to try and avoid infections. Now some urine, sorry for the gross subject, goes into the bag, but alot of it is coming out "normally", leaking around the balloon. The result is that I'm wet quite often and my skin is getting really irritated. Can't change pants myself.....can't reach and legs weigh a ton to try and lift.

Have an appointment with a urologist (oh joy -- NOT), Jan. 9, but nobody seems to know what to do in the meantime.....pcp, nurses, etc. This is disgusting and I really need some help/suggestions from anyone having experience with catheters/nurses here. There HAS to be a solution, I can't be wet all the time, especially with holiday visitors, etc.

Did I mention..........I HATE THIS DISEASE!!!!!

Thanks for reading this and any help. I'm about at the end of my rope with this problem.....on top of everything else.

Merry Christmas

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (12-17-2014), doydie (12-18-2014), Kitty (12-17-2014), NurseNancy (12-17-2014), SallyC (12-17-2014)