View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 10:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My motor symptoms included being uncoordinated and unable to run from early childhood. Numbness started in my early 30's with my feet, then moved up, I have loss of sensitivity to hip level at this point. I also started then with pains in my legs. Numbness in my hands and arms set in a little later.
I am one of the people who does get relief from Gabapentin, the earlier form of Lyrica. From the beginning it greatly decreased the burning and electrical zaps and allowed me to get some sleep. It did not help the sharp leg pain and I have medication for that. I am able to function, go for walks on soft trails, no asphalt or cement, do light housework ( I have a friend who helps clean), and cook. I have had to take care of my daughter and her toddler when she was on bed rest with the last baby and it was way too much for me, so I understand why you are worried about taking care of your young children. My back problems flare up pretty much anytime I pick up the babies.
Your age and the fact that you are in good physical condition is in your favor. Alcohol in general aggravates nerve issues, so you should lay off, but you have to drink a lot to develop alcoholic neuropathy. The symptoms that you describe are classic neuropathy, but the fatigue and dizziness might indicate an autonomic or other condition.

I did not have a lot of side effects from the medication, but a lot of people do. I wish you were getting more guidance from your doctors. Have you seen a neurologist or had an EMG? They really should be more aggressive about looking for causes at this stage. If it is bilateral there is less chance it is from the disc problems, but the connection to the weightlifting may be significant.

Does anyone in your family have neuropathy? The weakness that you describe is worrisome and should be investigated.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote