View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

It has been my experience that "pushy" people do not take honesty and forthright comments well.

I've been reading this thread, and I see you, LIT LOVE, have those "helping" genes, and a personality that is giving. I have that
trait too, and it has been tough for me, attracting types that "take" and emotionally drain me.

If this new acquaintance is wearing you out, making you feel more tired and confused, this relationship doesn't really need to go farther. There are personality types that have chameleon like traits, mirroring you to establish a link. Sales people use this trait to bond with customers to get a sympathy going so you will buy what they have. In private relationships, people like this project this "I am like you" attitude to lure you into a friendship.
Most times, they are not like you at all, and it can be so subtle you don't even know it is happening.

Slowly back away, answer the phone less, but just once in a while, introduce other topics of conversation when you do talk on the phone, etc. If you back away slowly and are greeted with hostility..."Where have you been" type accusations, that is a clue that this relationship is going to be toxic for you.

People who struggle with pain, and the baggage it brings (depression,fatigue etc), on a daily basis have to strengthen their boundaries so that the needy types do not compound our days. I try to find some humor online, and I channel my own helping needs to my environment--my husband, cats, and the animals that live in nature with us. In summer I have my garden and seedlings to care for. Right now I am photographing the winter birds and squirrels right through our windows. Giving them a little food each day, satisfies me watching them survive these cold wintry days.

Certainly it is tough, getting a needy pushy type to back off. I don't envy you that task. I get the feeling you know what needs to be done, and are just dreading it?

I know for me I just can't watch the news anymore. The CNN type channels are wearing me down! Just the news these days is enough to create depression! So structuring your day away from further bad news may help... it sure does help me!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (12-19-2014), Hopeless (12-19-2014), LIT LOVE (12-19-2014), PamelaJune (12-19-2014)