View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tos hope View Post
Well... most people will reject the notion that there is an emotional root to their pain, which is totally understandable. In fact, I did for several years. In retrospect, I had seen and heard about Dr Sarno's work several times on various postings, etc., but skipped over or ignored them. Actually, i saw an osteopath 5 years ago when I started having back pain who very, very adamantly insisted that I consider the emotional aspect of my pain and read dr Sarno's work, but I completely ignored that suggestion in favor of the "physical" remedies he suggested: TENS (didn't help), neuromuscular therapy (helped temporarily), accupuncture (never tried this), PT (didn't help), MRI... which showed a small disk herniation (in retrospect, my pain got much worse after seeing that MRI). In fact, I was really insulted and never went back to him. I figured he was suggesting I was overemotional/hysterical because I was a woman.

Please consider to yourself whether there are any inconsistencies/holes in the structural theory for your pain: for example, I had terrible pain in my back as well, which Dr. Jordan said was a separate condition and not part of the TOS(?) I also had occasional low back/SI joint pain and had a history of stomach problems. I tended to have pain in one place at a time: either hands or back, almost never both. Why would this be??

I will get off my bandwagon now, but if this has sparked some interest for any of you, please look online for other people's recovery stories (there are plenty) and read about tension myositis syndrome, which Dr. Sarno contends is the basis for most chronic pain conditions.
Sarno has addressed the mental aspects of an issue. But the physical aspects need work as well. Both go hand in hand from what I have been told.
Akash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote