View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picobill View Post
Inspiretoday, Sorry about your CRPS diagnosis, sorrier still that Pain Clinics are being a pain. First off, Do Not go to ER.. they're worthless, even if they know about CRPS and more than likely they don't. Anyway they won't do a nerve block since the procedure is not for life saving, best you'd get would be to be admitted and given less pain medication than you'd need. Once they had you in the hospital draining your medical coverage's money, you'd still have to wait to see whoever either was on staff or had rights at the hospital and knew CRPS. Your best bet if you can get them sent to you is to give the pain clinics those piles of records they're asking for. You should also be sure to tell them that though you live in the Caribbean you are looking for a Clinic for treatment of your CRPS on a "regular" basis. It helps if they can see more money coming in down the road.
Best advice I can give you is pretty much CRPS survival.. Going to Virginia is a good move but make sure to stay WARM! Cold is a big Bad thing for CRPS.. So second if your Dr. hasn't warned you, never treat swelling with ice... CRPS creates the swelling but it also causes problems in your body draining fluid from the swelling so ice won't help and it can cause even more nerve damage.
Next step you didn't say where your CRPS was though I'm going to guess it's a foot from your cast on leg comment. Whether foot or arm get epsom salts and take over the bathroom. CRPS responds to warm to hot epsom salt soaks.. it's not a long term cure but it will help.
Remember most of the therapy techniques you learned don't apply to CRPS, let the pain be your guide and never try and push past the pain doing therapy with CRPS that will just make it mad.
Appology for the Pain Clinics, the FDA and DEA have every Dr. that prescribes Opiates in the US scared half to death. As was already said stress to a clinic the amount of relief you received from your last block and that your main objective is getting another.
When will CRPS get treated as obvious and "normal" conditions are? Probably a year or two after they discover a 100% effective test for the condition and six months after they find a cure.
Last tips I can offer, whenever you can, raise whatever part has the CRPS above heart level; Bare your skin.. if it's in your foot wear loose fitting sandals, no socks! if in the hand/arm short or no sleeves; Friends can look but no touching! Sometimes I can't even touch my own hands CRPS can get hypersensitive.

Good Luck with your search, Merry Christmas and a low pain New Year!
The OP should try swimming in the ocean, considering where he lives, if he hasn't already. Not everyone reacts the same way, but I'm almost pain free swimming in the ocean when it's warm and calm.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (01-05-2015)