View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hopefully, we'll get Mrs. D to weigh in on this--

--but it is possible that your sensitivity to B6 is secondary to other conditions, such as a hereditary enzymatic deficiency.

I do know that many of those who have reacted to higher doses of the standard pyridoxine form of B6 have done better with the P-5-P form, which has to jump through far fewer metabolic hoops to be utilized.

The other thing that came to mind, although this is a somewhat controversial topic in medicine--mainstream and alternative--is the possibility of pyroluria, which is considered to be a cousin to the neuropathy-causitive condition of porphyria. In this condition, abnormal hemoglobin synthesis causes excess B6and zinc to be excreted in the urine.

Take a look at:

http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/vitaminb6

from our own Cara, mistress of gluten sensitivity. Also:

The Wikipedia article on this actually summarizes the condition well, and makes note of the controversy as to whether it exists at all, and how it might be related to porphyria:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroluria

BTW, I developed my neuropathy, which was/is acute, body-wide, burning, and exclusively sensory, at age 43--I'm 47 now.

I think the characterization of neuropathy as a disease only of older people is terribly misleading. There are many different types of neuropathy, and the conditions that lead to many of them, such as autoimmune processes or toxicities, can strike at any age. The neuropathies that are most common in the elderly are those that are cryptogenic, nerve length-dependent, and sensory, but these, while common, only account for a fraction of neuropathies. Even those due to diabetes are not confined to older people.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote