Thread: Yoga
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What is "yoga" anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchlake View Post
Yoga can absolutely help. I've been doing (the easy yoga) for a few years now.

Not only does the stretching help, it helps with balance and overall pain reduction. And either before or after, I try to practice some mindfulness meditation for a few minutes.

With CRPS, gotta hit it with everything including the kitchen sink. And that means that along with conventional western medicine, you need to consider experimenting with any kind of complementary therapies that can help. And yoga is definitely one of them!
Seconded, especially RE: the kitchen sink.

I'd also add that the "yoga" typically thought of in the western world (asanas/postures/movement/stretching) is just a part of one of the Eight Limbs of Yoga, and represents one small part of the big picture.

"Yoga" is a Sanskrit word meaning "to yoke" or "to unite" (an exact definition in English is somewhat obscured in translation.) As I intrepret it, the real aim of yoga is to yoke the mind to our true Self, instead of letting ourselves be yoked to the mind, (which is where we find ourselves currently.)

visioniosiv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (12-22-2014), eevo61 (12-28-2014), NurseKris (12-24-2014), nyt2 (12-28-2014), RSD ME (01-01-2015), Sea Pines 50 (12-24-2014)