View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multicoloured View Post
Hi!

So I went to a new dentist. My "old" one I actually just saw for a check up and she seemed like a beginner somehow (very very young). So I went to bigger clinic where they do all kinds of difficult things, like bone restoration, implants, urgent accidents, difficult root canals etc.
I'll describe in detail what happened.

The man who saw me checked the tooth visually and said it looked more like a normal line. I asked if these lines go to the bottom of the tooth as this one and he said sometimes they do..
He then checked with an instrument to see if some part of the tooth moved, or if the instrument got stuck and, well, the instrument got a bit stuck but not like it got trapped or went in the crack. He checked the sensitivity of the tooth and it was quite fine, he also blew air on it on all its sides and the gum was OK he said.
He then took an x ray from the side and it looked fine.
he called another woman, older dentist, who confirmed what he said.

All in all, they said that maybe there was a tiny tiny very small crack, but that a crown or restoration will only be unnecessarily intrusive. They said "it's not usually dangerous" if there is a tiny crack and that any work on this tooth is unnecessary at this point.
My sensitivity when eating sometimes and "weird feeling" he couldn't really explain though.

I'm scheduled for another visit in order to get the mouth guard, but with this crack or whatever, I don't seem to come any further....

Of course I'm worried that it hurts a bit sometimes and that I have read so much about how hard it is to diagnose cracks (and he didn't do so many of the test which are recommended to diagnose cracks), but what can I do?

I could go and get a second opinion, but then I've spent some money on this already so I rather don't....

That was what happened....all comments are welcome.

*it's a hard life in the world of dentistry*
*one feels so lost*

I want to add that when I now try to push my tooth with my tongue, I feel a painless movement somehow....like something getting out of place an back. BUt surely such a feeling should be seen as a crack in the X ray?
It's hard to feel something weird and then being told that it's nothing..
Multicoloured is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote