View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

leesal,

You had a lot of invasive oral surgery done, a lot of bone grafting done and what would be referred to as a traumatic/difficult extraction. All of which takes a long time to settle down and heal. Having an infection (dry socket) in an area where there was bone grafting increases the risk of graft failure which can be painful. For all of those reasons, no one here could gauge what would be normal as far as your current pain goes.

You have to monitor your own pain and try to see what makes it feel worse and what makes it feel better. Chewing is going to make your mouth hurt because it over works your jaw. I hope you are not eating on that side and that you are only consuming soft nutritious foods.

Sometimes applying moist warm compresses on the outside of the face in that area helps to soothe the pain. Have you tried anything like that? What are you doing to reduce the pain?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesal View Post
I had a tooth extracted #31, bone grafting on 29, 30 and 31. 29 and 30 were extracted 20 years ago after a severe accident.

I ended up with an infection and dry socket in that area. I was getting a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm still on antibiotics...today is the last day. I'm still having pain in that area. The pain has been getting better until today, it's been more sore and painful. The extraction was quite difficult. Is this normal 18 days after the fact? I saw the Dr. yesterday and told him things were getting better (they were). He said there was no dry socket, the extraction sight is starting to close which he's right it is. What else could be causing this discomfort? My Dr. did say he had a patient with a similar procedure and she did have pain for about 3 weeks which is what he told me to expect originally.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote