View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default finding a good doc . . . HOW?

I'll make my story as brief as I can:

I have had symptoms with both feet for a year now. A doctor did nerve conduction and EMG and said I had tarsal tunnel syndrome. Report is below. After seeing four different doctors (2 pods, 1 GP, 1 neuro) and a physical therapist - no one else believes I have it for reasons unknown to me (maybe mental health discrimination - since I am bi-polar).

I watched the DVD from NeuropathySupportNetwork.org and stopped after just 15 minutes. Gene Richardson was telling 'my' story in the sense of doctors that don't care or listen. I will watch the rest of the DVD soon.

How can I get the treatment I need? My own brother is a GP but we are 2.5 hours away from each other. He said, "I can't believe this! It is OBVIOUS you have nerve damage (cold, numb feet, clumsey feet) and they have the tests right in front of them and they still don't know what it is or what to do!"

Again, where do I turn to next? I just got done calling the doc that did the nerve tests. He does not treat it.

Below is his test results. I have had these same symptoms for a year now.

Please advise on what I should/could do.

I teach PE so I am on my feet all day at work. I have three daughters ages 7,9 and 11. They don't need a disabled Dad . . . especially when things could have got treated early on.

Thank you, *edited*

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Both myself and my MD brother are at a loss as far as what to do next . . . to start getting the PROPER treatment so I can get better (or at least not get worse).

Dean

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Test Date: 3/31/14

Chief Complaint: Patient is a 49 year old male who presents with bilateral foot tingling, numbness and gait abnormalities. Today’s electro diagnostic study is individually designed to evaluate for an etiology of this patient’s clinical symptoms and signs. Differential diagnoses include the following: tarsal tunnel syndrome, lumbosacral radiculopathy, peroneal neuropathy, tibial neuropathy, sciatic neuropathy, other focal neuropathy.

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS:
Lower extremity nerve conduction study revealed normal and symmetrical distal latencies, amplitudes, and conduction velocities for the bilateral tibial motor, peroneal motor, superficial peroneal sensory, and sural nerves.

Bilateral planter motor nerves were studied to evaluate for tarsal tunnel syndrome. The bilateral planter nerves demonstrated significant slowing through the tarsal tunnel when compared to the medial planter nerves (> 1 ms latency difference). (bold in the original)

Bilateral peroneal and tibial F-wave latencies were prolonged. (bold in the original)

Bilateral H-reflexes were prolonged. (bold in the original)

Monopolar needle EMG was performed in selected muscles of the bilateral lower extremities, innervated by L2-S2 nerve roots. All muscles tested were normal. No spontaneous activity was seen in any muscles tested in the form of fibrillations, positive sharp waves or fasciculations. Voluntary motor units were recruited normally and with normal configurations and morphologies. (bold is mine)

IMPRESSION:

The above electrodiagnostic study reveals evidence of bilateral tarsal tunnel syndrome. (bold in the original)

Otherwise, normal electrodiagnostic study, except for prolonged F-wave latencies and H-reflexes. (bold is mine) These abnormalities suggest proximal nerve conduction delay from compression of the myelin sheath, such as might be seen in bilateral L5S1 radiculopathy. (bold in the original) However, these abnormalities are not diagnostic in and of themselves. There are no needle EMG abnormalities to suggest axon loss and support a diagnosis of radiculopathy. Without other supportive abnormalities, the significance of these abnormalities is unknown.

*edited*

Last edited by Chemar; 12-23-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: names/addresses/phone#s edited for privacy reasons
canifindagooddr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote