View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Help Looking for Post Concussion Syndrome Health advice/Medication assistance

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding antidepressants and stimulants and Post Concussion Syndrome.

First off, I'm 22 and prior to my concussion I had been on a poly-pharmaceutical regime for treatment of depression including; aropax,edronax,mirtazipine and Xanax. I had spent the earlier portion of this year withdrawing from these medications and working with a psychiatrist who engaged in talk therapies to get to the root of my issues.

Fast forward to September 27th and I unfortunately slip in my kitchen and have myself a concussion. The following weeks were filled with an onset of insomnia, panic attacks, symptoms of intense anxiety, mood swings and complex cognitive issues. I have seen several doctors and a functional neurologist who have started me on excercises and nutritional supplements, however I am taking a sedating antidepressant Mirtazipine. The current attitude of my Neurologist is to wait until the 6 month mark before judging whether or not a medication intervention is necessary.

Before the incident I was curious about starting a MAOI called Parnate with a dose of Ritalin (prescribed by a Psychiatrist). At the time I dismissed the new prescription as I wished to withdraw from medications completely. Now I am post incident and my attitude towards medications have changed. Had I not had the incident I believe I may have started the regime.

My question is this; what would the effects of these medications have on my brain in its Post Concussion Syndrome state? Should I avoid these medications or simply wait until my brain has had sufficient time to heal before considering starting them?

Any and all informative comments would be appreciated.
PCS+MDD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote