View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Emily,

I have a feeling that your dentist was talking about putting a post in the root of the tooth after the root canal was done. A post is not a dental implant.

A dental implant replaces an extracted tooth. A post is put in a tooth that has little tooth structure left. But a root canal has to be done before the post can be put in because the root canal deadens the tooth.

Root canals are never a healthy option as the tooth will then be chronically infected because the nerve tissue inside of the tiny canals cannot be cleaned out and that nerve tissue becomes necrotic and infected. I do not advocate root canal therapy because of the chronic infection and risk of systemic infection.

With that said, what is concerning me also is the health of her other upper teeth. Generally when a crowned tooth breaks off at the gum line it is due to decay that developed underneath the crown. Because the dentist said her other teeth were not healthy enough to hold a bridge, it makes me wonder if the xrays showed similar issues on her other front teeth. Did the dentist elaborate on that statement?

Yes, the xrays may be helpful if you could post them.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily303 View Post
Thanks! So implants require removal of entire tooth -- that's what bothered me. I wasn't getting the need for a root canal at all. We'll ask that dentist what she's thinking. She did say implant post might be able to be inserted soon after root canal. ?!?! I should have been much more alert that day.

My mom's caps/crowns (don't know age) were mostly for aesthetic reasons as my mom did a lot of public speaking, much on camera, until a few yrs ago. Much of her social life is going to luncheons, but this is just 1 tooth. Thx for mentioning possible fate of other teeth; we have to consider that.

No chronic health conditions, no heart attacks, just a knee replacement 19+ yrs ago. No prescription meds, only OTC calcium, vit D3. Yet any surgery at my mother's age worries me. I watched my father, grandoarents and father-in-law all greatly decline btw ages 83 to 86, most after one or two minor surgeries. Will try to get xrays too.

Thx!!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote