View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Catching up

I haven't heard anything from Sunflower since her last posting from Arizona. I hope this means she's doing well.
Knutson, Sorry you're having to deal with this. It took almost 4 months and strictly following my OT therapy before I got rid of all the numbness. In my case I had not only the thumb but also the index and middle fingers which were numb and painful at the same time. As I posted earlier, wearing a full-coverage Isotoner compression glove (bought from Amazon) was a turning point for me. Have you tried that yet? Have you been given Theraputty to use as part of your therapy? I used it daily twice a day as part of my therapy and it helped a lot. I also found using good old kitchen-variety rubber bands very helpful - I bought a bag of assorted lengths and tension levels from the Dollar Store and sorted through them to find very small ones to use between two fingers, and longer less-tension ones to place over all my fingers. For the small band I place it over two fingers, or the thumb and pointer finger, and stretch the bend repeatedly. For the larger band, I place it over the tips of all five fingers and thumb and stretch it out. These are actually standard carpal tunnel exercises that I hadn't done for years but resurrected. Worked really good. I think the thing about all three devices - glove, theraputty and rubber bands - is that using them both strengthens the muscles and ligaments while also improving circulation in the affected areas. Just a word of caution, though, if I tried to move too fast to increase the levels of difficulty, I paid. I had to start slow and increase difficulty slowly.

At this point my R wrist, the broken one, actually feels better than my L, which doesn't have the advantage of the carpal tunnel release. However, if I'm faithful at doing my exercises daily (usually in the evenings while watching TV) both hands and wrists feel good and very functional.

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year!
Beadingmypassion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote