View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Betsy You may be young, but you are certainly wise beyond your years.

I agree with you completely. I have a health condition I have had my whole life, which doesn't bother me at all, it's just "a part of me". As you grow, you learn to adjust and compensate... it's much easier as a child/teen.

But I was 30 when I got hurt, and 31 when I had the surgery and ended up with rsd. I had a husband out to sea (6 month long westpac) and two sons to raise on my own. I was doing a fine job of it, until this happened.

Overnight, my whole world changed. I had been dealing with the injury for almost a year at this point, and was looking forward to the surgery and getting on with my life. That never happened, of course. As of now, I have had rsd for 14 years.

Just about the hardest part for me was the "used to be's"... I used to be able to do this, I used to be able to do that. My sons didn't understand why Mom couldn't go beachcombing anymore, or run around at night chasing lightning bugs (depended on where we were living, lol), whatever. Mom didn't cook like she used to, there was a LOT more fast-food in our lives.

My getting rsd didn't affect just me, that I could have handled better. But I will never get over what it did to my son's lives, and their relationships with me.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote