View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 05:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with Late Onset Tay-Sachs disease. Tay-Sachs is a rare disease, but it normally affects only infants and children. In infantile and juvenile, it's 100% fatal. Infants usually by age three, and juveniles by maybe nine or ten. Thankfully, late onset isn't generally fatal, but it is degenerative and progressive. I am one of only about 100 confirmed cases in the entire United States. (Gee don't I fee special? )

It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I'm probably headed for a wheelchair at some point in the future. Nobody knows when, but it's probably coming.

After the initial shock wore off, I went into a deep depression. But a couple years ago, I decided to start woodworking again. I've created a number of pieces that came out really nice. I just wish I could find a market for them because I'm running out of room to store them.

I've repurposed old dangerous baby cribs into benches, as well as an old headboard into a bench. I've designed and built storage chests and benches too.

The thing I like about woodworking is that although it may sound strange, when I'm working on a project, I don't feel like I have Tay-Sahs.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.-crib-bench4-jpg   Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.-hb8-jpg   Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.-pc11-jpg   Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.-hb7-jpg   Trying to keep my mind off of my disease.-blanket-chest6-jpg  

Last edited by John Pollman; 12-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.
John Pollman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (12-30-2014), EnglishDave (12-30-2014), Enna70 (01-16-2015), Jaime_S (12-30-2014), Kitt (12-29-2014), Kobyshelby (07-20-2015), Lara (12-29-2014), mrsD (12-29-2014)