View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

ProAgonist, please forgive me if I sound harsh in any way as that is not my intention as I write this post, however, you have been worried about the popcorn you ate causing you a concusssion. You've been worried that the back pack that hit your neck caused a concussion. Now you're worried that you have another concussion from a knock to the head by an elbow.

Today is Tuesday here and on Saturday night it was raining. I already have some residual vertigo from a concussion years ago and I should have known better but I went outside to get something and I slipped on a terracotta tile on the stairs.

I slammed the back of my head into the edge or nose tile. I was lying flat on my back in the pouring rain in a pool of blood from the cut to my head and thought this was the end of me. My blood pressure spiked in the 180s/80s and stayed there for a couple of hours. I kept repeating the same thing over and over again apparently. I don't remember doing that. All I remember thinking was it was all over this time.

After a few hours in the ER my anxiety about death decreased and once I was able to see for my nursey self that my BP finally stabilized and that my pupils were fine and that I wasn't repeating myself over and over again, I was reassured by all that my signs and symptoms were not of the nature that I was going to have a brain bleed and die that night. I was stitched up and went home to bed.

Was I anxious? Very. I am still.

Do I sometimes worry about things I need not worry about? Yes
Do I take measure to keep my anxiety under control? Yes
Does it help? Sometimes more than other times.

Was this anxiety I was feeling on Saturday night and for some time afterwards warranted? Yes

OK. Now, if you ever feel worried enough that you think you have a concussion, you should tell your parents what has happened and they can assess the situation and know if you should go to the hospital.

In the meantime you should try to keep calm and live your life to the fullest because there is so much for you to do in your future. Perseverating on knocks to your head or teeth or neck will keep you at a standstill.

I know that can be easier said than done, but I'm very concerned that your anxiety is at such a level that it will confine you and that it will stop you doing things that you should be doing.

Many of us who have experienced anxiety know that there can be a very fine line before the condition can become life changing and debilitating. Fear is a terrible companion.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bruins88 (12-29-2014), Mark in Idaho (12-29-2014), mrsD (12-29-2014), thedude58 (12-31-2014)