View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Concussion Clinic

Went and saw my old doctor today from when I had a concussion last time. I thought I would share what I was told and see if there are any thoughts.

No return to work for me for now. I'm still experiencing headaches and tinnitus. They did the standard imPACT test (I think that's what it's called. Numbered up symptoms and did some memory/cognitive tests) and I'm happy to see that cognitively I'm doing fine. Huge progress compared to my first concussion in 2012.

I'm starting physical therapy for my neck tomorrow. My range of motion was very limited. At some point I may do occupational therapy, though I don't know if that's necessary.

Parts I'm unsure about:

He has me taking amitriptyline at night to help with the insomnia and headaches. I've never used it before. I'm already on a low dose of a SSRI, but he said interactions were rare. I guess I'll see how it goes down tonight.

To my great dismay, he also said that I should limit my screen time to twenty minutes at a time for no more than 2-3 hours a day. I've been doing much more than that, but I've also been stuck at home. I seem to be tolerating TV just fine. I even went to a movie earlier this week with no symptoms. For now, I'm listening to a lot of audiobooks when I'm bored. Hopefully they will be less stress on my brain. I don't know what else to do!

I'm just starting week four on my concussion now. Three weeks out of work (minus two four hour shifts at my part time retail job, which I did fine with).
SillyRugger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote