View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Well, mine certainly seems to be affected to some extent--

--by amount of carbs/sugars consumed, and I am not diabetic (although I struggle mightily to keep my sugars and A1c levels at the borders of the pre-diabetic range). Certainly, when my neuropathy started more than 11 years ago--and it was an acute onset--my blood sugars were quite well within the "normal" range.

I actually think that many people DO get exacerbations or flares with high blood sugar levels, even if their neuropathy does not have a blood sugar etiology. The "double crush hypothesis" may be applicable here: once one has an insult to one's nerves, any other insult--metabolic, mechanical, autoimmune--compounds the problem. Wide swings in blood sugar, even if not at the level of diabetes or even pre-diabetes, do not seem to be healthy for nerves (or, indeed, lots of other bodily tissue).

I think the best advice that has been given is to treat our neuropathy as if it is blood sugar related, even if it is not--tight blood sugar control, exercise, a healthy diet, etc., are good for us anyway. This is why many with neuropathy cut down on the simple carbs, often go gluten free, take B12 and lipoic acid, etc. Better to maximize the conditions for healing--or, at least, not add more problems to those already there.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aussie99 (12-30-2014), Electron (12-30-2014), ger715 (12-31-2014), Joe Duffer (01-01-2015), Susanne C. (12-30-2014), Synnove (02-03-2015), uglogirl (02-02-2015), zkrp01 (12-30-2014)