View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Emily,

Yes, most people in their 80's have bone loss in general. But depending on the health of their teeth, gums and health in general, they do not necessarily have to have extensive bone loss just because they are old

I am concerned that her other upper teeth may not be so healthy which would mean that she could develop one tooth problem after another. So in my opinion, she really needs to have a thorough look at the health of all of her teeth, which includes a full mouth series of xrays (18-20 of them) so that a decision can be made that will prevent her from having those problems.

If her dentist is hesitant or not upfront with answering questions or wanting to explore the whole picture, or just wants you guys to take her word for it... please seek another dentist.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily303 View Post
Hi Bryanna - i think you're right about the dentist referring to using a post. I did hear the words post and implant, but what you wrote above must be what she meant. We can't reach her until her office reopens tues or wed.

I agree 100 percent about root canals. My mother said she just wants a tooth at this point and does not want a denture -- but agrees she must consider the health of her other front teeth. I'm trying to convince her why a root canal is asking for trouble...

Question: Isn't bone loss a given when people reach their 80s? I would think the less invasive the procedure, the better.

Thanks!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote