Thread: CRPS & Surgery
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know too that surgery is no with RSD but if the screw are causing more of an issue sometimes surgery is needed for help. For 3 years where the surgery scar was it was an open lesions of 5in and couldn't have anything touch it or walk on it I found out the nerve had a neuroma on it keeping it on fire and the scar open. It was the first surgery I was to have after having full body rsd and was scared but went through it. My pain doctor was very important with it. I was placed in patient and an epidural was placed in to make so I wouldn't feel from my waist down. He also an hour before the surgery started ketamine drip, some drs do lidocaine. He also had my main pain meds given to me. I was in hospital 1 week with the epidural then another 2 with ketamine running before the flare was controlled. The surgeon that did the surgery said it was a good thing he went in as he said my nerve looked like it was put through a shredder. Since Iam with a new doctor who has really helped when I need surgery he does basically the same as the other just not using the epidural depending on the surgery, they also give me 100 iv fentanyl to help with pain waking up. since I have had 5 different surgeries and I do go into the flare for various times while in hospital. Another way if you don't get ketamine or lidocaine then some get a nerve block before the surgery. Iam now needing an ankle replacement and a rod put in my femur due to bone death and collapsing. those are scaring me greatly.
Everyone of course is different with their rsd and how it reacts and what helps and doesn't also where its located. One surgery I had to remove my thyroid for cancer I actually came out smiling the way they handled the nerves really helped.
If your going to have the surgery I would talk with your pain doctor so they can speak with the surgeon on different protocols or things that may help you pull through with the least pain possible.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Samantha
But that first surgery for me to get the nerve fixed was a huge success without it I still would have a lesion and not be able to use it.
alaska49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (01-04-2015), RSD ME (01-02-2015)