View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After having been in and out of the hospital over the last few months, I'm with Kitty about packing your own meds. and the good advice of having an advocate.

To that end, I now have an Advanced Directive that spells out in minute detail to my advocate and medical personnel what I will and won't allow, as well as how and when they can do it. It keeps things on track even when or if I can't speak or act for myself but also when I can, especially with respect to medications and treatments.

It isn't too difficult to write one up and there are several programs available on-line that make them legal documents according to state or province. I did my rough draft with the help of "legal docs" and then had my lawyer check it and do the final copy. Doing one ahead of time, when things are not an emergency situation, allows you to really think through many potential situations and make decisions for yourself so that you can relax more easily when/if you need care.

My GP, appointed advocate, family members and lawyer all have a copy; and I take 2 copies with me when I need to go to the hospital. One is given to admissions or the nurse's unit where I'm put and one stays with me in the room on the side table in clear sight.

During my last stay in hospital, some of the nurses said that it would make things a lot easier for them and their patients if more people had one. My GP also supported my having one.

In short, I have found that it helps everyone get along better and helps to ensure that you get the care that you need and want, while preventing getting what you don't.

With respect to the shoulder pain, it isn't uncommon to get that after abdominal surgery, especially if it was done via laparoscopy. A fair amount of air is pumped into the abdominal cavity during such procedures and it is the remaining air that puts puts pressure on the diaphragm. That pressure often refers pain to the shoulder, as does bowel gases which are also often present after such surgeries. If it is the latter, using an over the counter stomach remedy with simethicone in it (Gas-X, Phazyme), will often help to relieve it.

Hope that you feel better soon .

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (12-31-2014), SallyC (12-31-2014), Starznight (01-05-2015)