Thread: Head Pressure
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelHughes View Post
Hi Nancy,
just read your reply and thought I would mention not to expect too much from your son ie. to reach 100% again. Apparently very, very few TBIers ever reach 100% again. My TBI was 17 yrs ago (at the age of 13) and though I continued to progress through school and university I still would not say I am 100%. What I personally struggle with most is that others don't realise the extra effort that I have to put in to achieve what I do.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just not wanting your son to feel like is expected to reach 100% again (in any time frame).
Best of luck and keep up the hard work of being a TBI survivor carer.

Nigel.
I could not disagree with you more. He should expect 100% recovery. If I remember correctly, Nancy's son had no visible damage when he had MRI/CT scan, which would be classified as PCS from mild-TBI. From everything I have read, the majority of people with no visible damage recover completely from PCS within 6 months, although it takes some people 12 months - and only a small percentage have permanent symptoms. It would be hard to keep a positive attitude if you are telling yourself you are not going to fully recover. Staying positive is very important in the recovery process - part of the recovery is psychological. I see no harm from thinking you will fully recover. Don't put a timeframe on it, but do expect to get better.
yannimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote