View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If possible, I speak to my host/hostess ahead of time to point out what works for me, which eliminates their need to dance around the issues and guess. I explain to guests that my reaction time in conversation is a bit longer than normal but if they will be patient, I will respond to comments. I find it is difficult to juggle several conversations at once so I often try to talk with either one person or several people on one topic. "No thank you." serves me well. I also try to avoid just talking about PD as that gets tiresome for me and them. For about 1.5 years I was unable to use my right arm and hand. I asked people to be my designated food cutters, asked for forks in lieu of chopsticks, sat before holding my newborn grandson and avoided soup. We had a lot of laughs and, amazingly enough, with the combination of Sinemet, PD Dance and cycling, I regained the use of the arm and hand about 6 months ago. I still ask for early boarding on planes and don't hesitate to tell people what works for me. They seem grateful for the directions.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (01-04-2015), natnat (01-04-2015)