View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Confused- Is it PCS if concussion symptoms didn't show up for a whole week?

Despite a ridiculous amount of googling and an unsatisfying doctor's visit, I'm still in confusion as to what is wrong with me.

Female, Age 21

I'm not usually a hypochondriac. In fact, I'm usually completely satisfied with my health and my life. But this whole past week has been nothing but a string of hazy worry-filled days and wondering when I'll be back to normal.

On December 20th, while skiing, I was unable to properly slow down at the bottom of a run. I "clotheslined" myself on a neck high rope that was up to organize the line for the skilift and then fell back on my head. There was no loss of consciousness and minimal disorientation: I simply saw stars for 10-20 seconds and then stood up, frustrated. My head didn't even really hurt, I just felt mildly lightheaded. I got on the lift with my friends, but once up there, they convinced me to accept a ride back in the Ski Patrol sled. The ski patrol talked to me and found I had no amnesia or confusion at all. He took my vitals and talked to me some more and it appeared everything was fine.

I felt a little bit of lightheadedness for the rest of that day but went to sleep fine and woke up fine and feeling normal. And I felt PERFECTLY FINE for an entire 7 days after this. Literally nothing wrong.

After those 7 days, I began noticing that I was getting tired all the time even though I was getting plenty of sleep, and that even one outing a day was taxing. I also began to notice that I was feeling pretty consistent lightheadedness and a constant light pressure in my head. Mild dizziness has become a constant as well, worsening if I walk a lot. I'm on winter break from school so I have no idea how things would be if I actually had things to do, but I'm going back to school this Monday.

So far it has been 8 days since this began and I know it doesn't seem like much, but I just feel so markedly unlike myself- and I've never felt this way for this long. It doesn't really get better. Every day I have the head pressure and dizziness. About 4 days in I also completely lost my appetite and nothing has tasted good since. I'm not sure if the appetite loss and diarrhea is anxiety caused - but since it came after a couple days of this, I would think so. I did have a mild fever of about 100 the night before this all began, but nothing else leads me to see this as an infection of any sort- it definitely all seems to stem from the head issues.

Here's what I'm wondering:
Can I really blame this on the concussion- if it even really was a concussion? It really seemed like I recovered quickly from the bump and was totally symptom free for a week. Also the digestive symptoms don't seem to fall in line with it.

If I can't blame it on the concussion, what could it be?

When will it improve? I'm tired of feeling dizzy and lightheaded every day and of not being able to eat. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but the lack of improvement is making me see no end in sight.
comet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote