View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

When you get back home, get some Activia too. It has a strain not commonly found in other yogurts. You can rotate them.

My husband has yogurt for breakfast every day. I usually use the Kefir.

Some Greek yogurts are really problematic though in the US.
They thicken them with a gum... called carob bean gum (aka locust bean gum), which feeds certain GI bacteria to ferment it, and that causes gas and bloating and for me at least diarrhea.
Chobani is one but others have this ingredient. So it is best to get gum free yogurts. I believe using antibiotics changes bowel flora and nasties take over...and these are the ones who ferment the gums. Taking antibiotics kills off beneficial bowel bacteria allowing nasties to move in and make trouble.

If you take acid blocking drugs like Zantac, or Prilosec they too will cause gas, bloating and diarrhea because they inhibit the breakdown of protein which then goes on to ferment in a similar way. The purpose of acid in our stomachs is to 1) break down protein into smaller bits for the enzymes from the pancreas to further digest, and 2) to kill the nasty germs/organisms before they move further down into the body. Acid blockers are good for the short run, but every day forever...not good for us at all!

I am glad to hear you are feeling better...just getting less anxious and learning here can really help that fear factor.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-03-2015 at 04:12 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-03-2015)