View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Jim,

Okay, I thought so.

Yes, you are in a difficult predicament as there is no easy fix to this problem. I cannot tell you how much or how little your teeth will shift if you do not put something in the place of the canine. This canine is one side of the cornerstone of the upper arch which means when it is not present, the curvature of the arch changes. This causes an unnatural movement with the other teeth. What can happen is the upper teeth will move which will throw off the alignment of the bite to the bottom teeth. This movement could result in damage and eventual loss of other teeth as the bite will not be coming together properly.

The main reason for replacing this tooth is to put something in its place to hold the curvature of the arch. You may be a candidate for what is called a Nesbit. This is a small, one tooth, removable appliance. It is designed to hold the space open, as if the tooth were still there, to prevent shifting of the teeth. But it has to be worn every day or teeth will move and the appliance will not fit. A Nesbit is also worn for esthetic reasons so you do not have a space when you talk or smile. However, this appliance is not meant to leave in when you eat or sleep as it is small and can become dislodged when chewing or sleeping which could be choking hazard. Not all dentists are comfortable suggesting Nesbits because of the choking hazard. But many people have and many people do really well with them. One of our members here, Ginny has a 2 tooth Nesbit and she has remarked many times how happy she is with it.

Regarding the root canal... yes, the medicaments used during the procedure are toxic, but so is a non vital tooth. All teeth require vitality to be healthy. There is nothing healthy about a dead tooth. I know you are a thinker and you delve into all of the details, so that is why I am reaffirming these facts with you as I would assume they would be important to you.

Here is what a nesbit looks like.... http://www.onnikdentallab.com/valplast-nesbit/

Bryanna

QUOTE=jimkh;1116235]yes this is the same tooth which i spoke about previously. But you can see this is a terrible dilemma for me.

I dont want to replace the gap if i extract it because that will involve a fair amount work and will likely be more expensive that the root canal. However as you mention the root canal uses harsh chemicals which is unacceptable to me.

How much of a shift will occur if the gap is left? my teeth are already not perfectly straight so would it matter much?

can the amount of shift be accurately guessed or is it impossible to say?[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***

Last edited by Bryanna; 01-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote