View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Heidi,

If the surgeon told you it's okay to eat anything you want, he misspoke because you should most definitely be mindful of what you are eating to avoid post complications.

For the first 3-4 weeks post op, it is best to eat a nutritious soft food diet, drink plenty of water throughout the day and not use a straw, avoid anything that requires a lot of chewing because your jaw has been through a lot of trauma and it needs to rest, and avoid spicy or other irritating foods. You have open surgical wounds in your mouth that go deep into the jaw bone. You have to keep that in mind when you eat and drink.

Also avoid any mouthwash as the chemicals will only irritate the wounds. Avoid smoking and alcohol as they too are very irritating to the wounds.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi42 View Post
Thanks for answering. Today it feels better; the gum area around the last molar is a little sore but is not unusually red. I've been eating on the other side so there would be less irritation. There is no swelling, discharge, or fever indicating an infection. The surgeon said I could eat anything I was confortable with but I am going to stay away from chips and nuts for a while. Could spicy things also be irritating it?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote