View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
EMG is often negative w/TOS, unless the major nerves are being severely affected..

One test or a few tests will not prove or rule out TOS.
Usually it is when other causes are ruled out then TOS is more the culprit.

I suggest looking thru or TOS docs & PTs sticky thread, I wouldn't waste time & money going to MDs that are not fully up on the syndrome..

MDs & PTs
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread135.html

Trigger points can make for many referred pain symptoms so it is good to learn about those - and it might be a large part of your symptoms
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread125577.html

You can post your state or area for other dr suggestions.
some members stay with friends or relatives for a short time if they are closer to a good TOS dr location.

since you were very active & fit - And no actual injury happened to change things??

I would think it is accumulated injury issue. much like a chronic RSI.. and can be turned around to a more normal state with lots of rest & proper therapies..
If you go to a top TOS dr some will require PT sessions before considering surgery ,unless there is a glaring anomaly that shows up in imaging or testing..

If you aren't nervous about seeking expert chiropractic care?? --- I will say that I had the best results from a very good chiro he also did mixed PT /massage techniques and had a Low level laser & IF stim.. did top rib mobilization , adjust my wrist/elbow shoulder as needed, and he also did the c1 c2 adjusting..

.....and /or seek out a very advanced PT/body-worker type person..

If they ever make things worse or don't adjust to what you can tolerate then quit that place..and find a better one..

If you didn't have good form / body mechanics when lifting , that might be how the accumulated injury came about.

Hypertrophy of the muscles can be a cause too -if you got over sized - it crowds the nerves & blood flow thru the outlet..
so sometimes letting the muscle get back to a more normal size and with some flexibility work things may resolve, if that is the case..
Thanks Jomar,
This is great info! I have a chiropractor, but I am terrified to let him near my neck. He is a believer in cracking necks and I am not. I tried medical massage twice and it seemed to exacerbate my symptoms.
I have a high ANA and was diagnosed with small nerve fiber damage with autonomic problems as well, but the neurologist doesn't get why my neck and shoulders are like this.
I told him that it was my shoulders and neck that sent me to the emergency room. It wasn't until that horrific pain became so out of control that the nerve pain spread to my legs and feet. I had tingling in feet and numb spots on feet and legs at times, but it wasn't that big of a deal until the shoulder, arm, and neck thing manifested. No one can figure it out.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote