View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Jim,

I answered your questions as logically and informatively as possible. I do not have a crystal ball to tell me how much or what direction your teeth will move in. Just because your teeth are not straight now does not mean that extracting some of them will straighten the rest of them out or improve your bite. Missing teeth, with few exceptions, can lead to negative changes in the alignment of the bite. Those changes can put too much force on some of the teeth when chewing which could result in inflammation of those teeth and eventual tooth loss. This can usually be prevented if the missing teeth are replaced after they are extracted.

You are mistaken about all people losing there teeth when they age. That is absolutely not everyone's automatic fate. People lose their teeth most often due to neglect, not age.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkh View Post
you say that you cannot tell me how much or little the teeth will move. (I expect there will be be some movement.) But then you go onto talk about the worse case scenario of further tooth loss which may or may not happen. Even if it does, we all lose our teeth in the end. Often with age, other illnesses affect us and eventually we all die. The loss of a tooth is horrible but if you look at the whole picture it is actually not the end of the world.

And what about the positive side which you didnt mention? Perhaps tooth movement is a good thing? People pay a heck of a lot of money to move their teeth into alignment. If my teeth move into the right position, it would be an advantage which i get for free.
As I mentioned, my teeth are already not exactly straight. They are crowded and the tooth next to the dead tooth is already under the adjacent tooth. Chances are this tooth will move towards the gap (should i get the extraction) rather than away from it. This would be a good thing would it not...

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote