View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Annest told me (in the diagnosis phase) to go home and try some traction to rule in or out TOS, and to rule in or out cervical issues. IF the traction caused any discomfort, stop immediately and it was basically a confirmation of TOS causing my pain. If it helped, then my diagnosis would include cervical issues to be further explored, while we delayed TOS surgery. OR something like that...I am not quoting here. (And not waiving my medical privacy by sharing a small bit of my understanding of traction on TOS.)

So in my understanding, the traction should not by used if it causes any discomfort, and if it is beneficial, I understood it would be somewhat immediate. This was also confirmed by a neighbor who had similar symptoms to me, but she immediately benefited from traction and w/in one month all symptoms were gone, and she returned to a highly physical position in medicine / emergency.

I cannot, I repeat, I CANNOT tolerate any PT except for massage. PT according to Drs. (multiple) whom I spoken to should NEVER hurt for TOS. We have an OVERUSE syndrome, for which more overuse is not good. Now this is what I have been told, and I'm not a doctor, but in the past, PT left me totally immobile, so whether I wanted to return or not, I could not.

I am surprised that no one has really talked about this lately, but not everyone on this Board can do PT - there are many (or some) who are like me and cannot be moved / touched in any way, or in only some ways, such as in water, or by a specific PT (Feldenkrais.)

Just about every PT I've ever spoken to boasts that they can "cure" TOS or have "cured" TOS but can NEVER give me a patient name to call...so again, I like was Sea said about listening to your own instincts very carefully.

God bless you and I wish you some good days ahead...

Tam

P.S. Crying is part of the process of recognizing what's going on. This is a major occurrence in our lives. I couldn't believe it myself, and did a lot of crying.

Last edited by tshadow; 06-11-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added to
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote