View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Lara.
In your initial post regarding migraine, you mentioned visual auras.

I was diagnosed with migraine some years ago, and it came as a bang when a lot of other diagnosis were also determined.
I had had a few strange episodes of vertigo, but I did not take much notice. I was just thinking it had to do with my hypertension.

I had had terrible continuous headaches for months,( many times I had nights with complete sleeplessness, and some times had to go to work after) but again, just took some Tylenol and hoped life would just go on.

Not until I had 2 visual disturbances ( that actually shook me up a bit) did I
diside to go to the doctor. Well, this visual disturbance was a very bright light flickering zigzag ring in my visual field to the left. It lasted for about 30 minutes and went away.
I had a stat MRI of head then. It showed a cerebral aneurysm just behind the optic nerve. It also showed a stroke ( which must have been mostly silent) I had had high blood pressure due to tremendous work related stress.
I felt I was lucky in a way, that I had the aneurysm seen before it ruptured. ( most ruptures cerebral aneurysms I had seen, often had very grave outcomes)

I had the aneurysm fixed with endovascular stent assisted coil. I saw a neuro ophthalmologist, and he explained to me that the visual disturbance was aura and that I had migraine.

The pattern of my migraine has since changed to be a " Ice Pick Headache" migraine that come and stay for hours on and off every few minutes, and they have a pattern of hanging around for some weeks, the go away for a while.
It feels like the bloodvessels have terrible spasm. I can feel them all the way to front of temples, and can see and feel the blood vessel bulging.
It was so severe one time, they thought I had temporal artheritis and I ended up with a temporal artery biopsy. It was negative.

I also have a diagnosis of leukocytoclastic vasculitis which has been treated with Methotraxate.

So, in conclusion from all of this I think that migraine is very much connected to the vascular system.
I just had a yearly check up with MRI and MRA of head. ( do not know result yet)
Lara, this was just my story, and sort of a reply to your question if anyone with migraine had visual auras.

My cardiologist is keeping me on a small dose of Amlodipine due to some chest tightness (sometimes angina like) and I think this might help for the headache too. ( works as antispasmodic) this might help for the headaches too.

Otherwise, I do not really understand my migraine, and I have not figured out the triggers, other than stress,not only mental but physical.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Synnove; 01-05-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ekstra
Synnove is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-05-2015), PamelaJune (01-08-2015)