View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaz View Post
Blessings to each of you for your wonderful words, your straight up truths of your experiences!

Today was a grand 're-progamming' with a different rep. I met him during the scs education meeting, months ago.

Hubby asked a lot of questions. His responses were NOT based on sales. Not once did he lean an answer in that direction. Rather, he was very informative, and it just felt like his heart was in it...if that makes sense. On the way home, I asked Richard (my hubby) what he thought. He said this rep had good eye contact when speaking with us and Richard got the feeling he didn't seem to have anything to 'hide' so to speak. There's just something off about the other one. But they all work as a team so I may or may not have either of them again. It all depends on their schedule and which hospital the other is at.

After tomorrow, I see the PM Dr to go over my results. If its a move forward decision, I will be scheduled a consult with a neurosurgeon then be given a date for the surgery. It will be 2-4 weeks til I see the neurosurgeon and another 2-4 weeks after this appt. when a date will be scheduled. So I have plenty of time to research. Which is something I need to do.

In honesty, I found this forum during a search. This forum name and part of Mark56's post was in that search. I read over half his story in one night and finished the next day. So that is how I found my way here!

Yes, they gave us an Educational class on the SCS. If it weren't for reading here before my trial, I would have been sunk in the mud for sure this past week!

So, I got reprogrammed today, plus one setting added just for my back. I found out the lead floats in this space and is only held in place by one stitch. Of course, its going to move in this space and it actually moves downward. So he reset the leads and I had a full afternoon of being pain free. I was active from 3 til 9 as my grandson is sleeping over. I managed until 8 before my pain increased enough that I knew I had to sit. So I listened to my body, turned up the stem and took my first dose of medication today. I can either stim my back or legs. So doing one the other was throbbing. Meds and stim shut them both down!

I also learned nerves to the leg (from the spine) are way bigger than nerves for the back; therefore, its easier to get stim on the legs. The back nerves take a bit more tweeking due to their smaller size.

Basically, out of 7 days I had 3 good and 4 miserable. My calf pain was gone by lunchtime. It was due to most all the stim being at the lower end of the lead. I don't ever want to go through another day of any of these 4 miserable ones with this stim. This pain is enough then add that on.....well, I was closest I've ever been to the edge.

I get this removed tomorrow at 10a.m., then home for a much needed shower!!!!

Have our grandson tomorrow night. By Wednesday I will be back to learn all I can. Please know, I appreciate your honesty. I'm not afraid of the good, bad and ugly! If there's anymore advice or thoughts, or other places i might learn, please share.

Thank you for allowing me to lean on you this past week and for holding me up. Some may say.....'its just words'......that's OK....to me your words were my everything.

Nanaz,

I think you are very wise to take the route you are on. You sincerely want to know good/bad/plus and minus', not just what you want to hear.

Also, your experience of the bad days was a good eye opener, knowing there might be possibly some days that the stim is not doing as good as it may have done the day before. You seem to be aware there might not be positive only days, but the chance of days with pain. Having meds as a stand-by/break thru is good just in case there may be those days when they may be needed.

I feel you accomplished the expectations test and are doing "great" accepting expectations realistically.

A good rep will not only want a sale; but care enough whether a patient has issues that would NOT make them a good candidate which instead would give them a life of added pain. That is cruel and heartless. I originally thought I had that kind of rep; but was wrong. The same is true with a surgeon being up front with a patient giving them the plus; as well as the minus' and what their chances are for successful surgery.

You have and are still doing your homework. Keep up the good work.

Please keep us informed as to how and what is being done, as well as outcome.

Wishing you all the best.

Gerry

Last edited by ger715; 01-06-2015 at 06:47 PM.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (01-10-2015), PamelaJune (01-07-2015), Rrae (01-11-2015)