View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Emily,

I'm so sorry you are being treated so harshly. There is no reason for that. I think it is wise for your mom to see a new dentist, if for no other reason than your mom (and yourself) deserve to be treated more gently.

Your mom's age, her overall health and her dental needs to be factored into any treatment plan that is offered to her. I think it may be wise and helpful to discuss some things with your mom and determine her personal preferences of which should be conveyed to the new dentist to avoid another unpleasant experience.

1) Does your mom want dental treatment that is temporary or permanent? Meaning is she looking to patch up any problems or treat them without having to deal with them ever again?

2) Does your mom feel that her teeth are an important part of her overall health and want control over her options? Would she prefer to have treatment options and decide what she feels is best for her or is she more comfortable with relying on the dentist to choose for her?

It is important for the dentist to check the overall health of all of her teeth. This may require additional xrays of her entire mouth if her former dentist did not take them recently. It is also best to have all previous xrays sent to the new dentist before the appointment. Radio-graphic history can be very helpful. I cannot stress enough that it would not behoove her to skip having the xrays because without them, there is no way to know what is really going on below the gum line. The overall health of her teeth can help determine what will be the best option for her regarding her broken front tooth.

Once the health of her teeth is established and she is aware of any other problems... hopefully none ...... the dentist can offer her treatment options for that broken tooth and whatever else is going on.

I know this is upsetting for your mom and I'm sure she's getting concerned over the whole thing. It's important that she work with a dentist who is going to treat her and you more kindly. I hope this new dentist is that one!

Keep in mind that your mom has to make the choice that she feels is best for her. So even if you do not agree, please try to understand that she needs to be comfortable with her decision. Just be sure that you both understand completely what is being offered to you.

I'm here if you need to bounce ideas off of someone. If you prefer to talk privately then my dental email is bryanna007@gmail.com

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily303 View Post
I'm sorry for replying so late. Yes, I had major problems with the dentist, who called me a very pushy daughter, unrealistic and uninformed about teeth and root canals, someone trying to create trouble when none exists, and on and on. It was just horrible. So my mother plans to go to a new dentist. The worst part is my usually calm mother is really worried that she'll need extensive work.

Will let you know. Thanks! - Em

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Emily303 (01-06-2015)