Thread: Root canal
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Pained,

Just to clarify as you may be referring to me.... I had mentioned formocresol being used during a root canal procedure in a previous post to someone who was inquiring about the medicament's used to disinfect the interior of the large canals. I offered that for informative purposes only, not because I would ever condone it's usage.

It is important to know that any chemical medicament used to disinfect the interior of the tooth has one purpose, to kill bacteria. Chemicals do not differentiate between infectious or protective bacteria. Their sole purpose is to kill whatever bacteria or tissue is in it's path basically rendering no boundaries. In doing so, the chemical dissolves the protective cell membrane that lines the interior walls of the tooth that protect it from bacteria getting in or out of the tooth. Once this membrane is destroyed, the chemical is then able to penetrate the tooth and travel elsewhere. No one can predict the long term affects of these chemicals leaching out into the jaw bone or beyond.

The subject of chemical disinfectants used in endodontics are just one of the many complications and risks of root canal therapy that are not openly discussed between a dentist and their patent and unfortunately the literature on this not written in layman's terms and therefore usually only privy to the dental community.

As a dental patient, I personally would want to know this information prior to giving any consent to perform this procedure. Of course, not everyone would give a second thought to it, but I know I would. Is this something that would be important for you to know or would you rather not know?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pained View Post
BTW, the use of bleach is not a problem unless you are allergic to it. They use household bleach and have for decades with little harm. It beats the heck out of some of the other stuff is used today. I had a bad mammogram come back and I told the oncologist that if it was cancer, that I had some formaldehyde crap that could be injected into the tumor to embalm/kill it (i.e. the Sargenti Paste they put into my mouth). The doctor said he couldn't use it because it is more dangerous than the chemo drugs!!! AND OUR DENTAL INDUSTRY KNOWS ABOUT THESE FORMALDEHYDE PRODUCTS AND DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PROTECT US IGNORANT PATIENTS. I don't happen to remember watching 60 minutes, GMA and Dateline in the mid-90s when they did stories on sargenti paste and how bad it was. Even if I did see them, I have long since forgotten about them. SHAME on our dental industry.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote