View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

No I don't have any serious issues like that. It's just that I've read some of you can get a concussion by as much as a simple shaking of the head due to the cumulative injuries building up apparently, even road bumps, I mean wow! Now, that I know of, I have only sustained 1 mild concussion during my life and my research has lead me to believe that since it's over 7 years ago, the odds are no longer increased of me sustaining another one as opposed to an uninjured person. When searching on shaking of the head and concussion, nothing solid can really be found on the matter. The closest I could come to anything was headbanging and that's a bit too violent an act to describe my scenario. Even then they state it's most likely to happen by forward and backward motion/jerking, up and down, contrary to rotational jerking, side to side turning. Now why is that? Is there more space for the brain in the front and back of the inner skull? Is the brain tight fitting in the sides of the skull? Some people say that as you grow older your brain grows into proportion to fit the size of your skull. So why can it still bang around in there by shaking? Not that it's important to know why, what I really wanna know is if jerking/shaking can reach the equivalent of 50 G's while slamming into the skull so it actually produces a concussion as seen with direct impacts. I know linear and rotational forces use different measuring techniques, but just in overall comparison.

Now with shaking, up and down is apparently the most damaging. But one thing I can't wrap my head around, is if for example a boxer hits someone on the jaw and he rotates his head, it has a much higher risk of severe damage. Now why is that then? Is it because the head both goes up while simultaneously rotating, or is it really more damaging to rotate your head rather than shaking it up and down? Or is it simply because it's a whole different case when direct impact is involved?

Why is it that the newest research indicate that headbanging is more likely to give you a stroke before giving you an mTBI such as concussion? Since the shakes I've had is nowhere near that of continuing head bangish behavior, I'm calm. But of course I'm anxious to know if it can be counted on. There is nearly nothing to be found about the relation of concussion and violent head shaking behavior, only baby shaken syndrome of course but that's it. I've had a hard time getting any solid info on this phenomenon.
Minimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote