View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have been taking Source Naturals L-Tryptophan for two years. I have never had a problem with it.

If one reads the Amazon reviews, you will find these extreme comments frequently. I think they are more about competitors than valid complaints. As mrsD says, there are likely other factors not mentioned. This commenter is not even accurate about the contamination of L-Tryptophan. The contaminated L-T came from Showa Denko K. K. in Japan, not China.

Please consider that many who take L-Tryptophan and related supplements often suffer from anxiety disorders including OCD. They can tend to tilt at windmills with their comments.

The FDA banned L-T until contamination issues were resolved.

I replaced my morning 200 mg dose of L-Tryptophan with 100 mgs of 5-HTP a few months ago with good results. There is far more 5-HTP consumed than L-T by a huge factor. I can get 5-HTP in multiple brands at many stores that do not sell even L-T. The risk with 5-HTP is Serotonin Syndrome from taking too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickSA View Post
hi there,
thanks for the great advice in this thread!
Anyhow, was about to order L-T on amazon UK to aid sleep but got slightly spooked by the review below re Source Minerals brand...
any thoughts?
As an alternative Swanson is generally a good brand is it not?
I note there is some evidence that 5-HTP can cause EMS too?
Am also looking at this too - again thoughts greatly appreciated!
many thx!

*edit* per original post

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Jomar; 01-08-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: *edit* per original post
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rickSA (01-22-2015)