View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi dbpei,

Will you be having an IV sedation for this oral surgery? I ask because if I recall you had it for a previous one... correct?

The oral surgeon will remove the implant and yes there will be some removal of the bone also. He will debride the remaining bone clean of the cyst and other debris and then most likely go into the sinus area and clean out what he can. He really won't know the extent of the debridement until he gets in there or if he will be able to close the sinus or place a bone graft. If he cannot close the opening in the sinus he will most likely put a thin collagen membrane over the opening which establishes a protective bio film to help encourage your own healing cells to come into that site and heal it closed. Placing a bone graft in an open sinus area is usually not done. So it really all depends what he finds when he goes in. But please discuss this with him if you have any questions or uncertainties.

I know you are scared and perhaps a little IV sedation would be helpful? I really think you will feel so relieved to have this implant removed and your immune system will reward you for removing this irritant

You don't need to plan a diet menu weeks in advance. But I would start tomorrow and plan a menu for the first week or two so that you have the ingredients on hand by the surgery date or you've make certain things ahead of time and freeze them, like the soups. It is just easier to have food already prepared or within easy reach so that you can just heat up or put together without too much thought. Nutrition will play a huge role in how you feel post op and will help so much with the healing.

Soups and stews of any kind would be perfect as they are packed with a variety of nutrients and you can add all sorts of healing spices.

I have no idea what you like to eat but I will offer you just a generalized list of good post op food items...

**Water... make sure you have plenty of filtered water to drink throughout the day to keep hydrated and flush the toxins out.

**Soft foods................. eggs, roasted chicken and fish, cooked beans, sugar free yogurt, any easy to chew seedless fruit like bananas/melon/peaches/pears/ avocado/apple sauce, all skinless veggies cooked for easy chewing, soft cheese like cottage or ricotta, moist grains or cereal like cooked oatmeal/polenta/wheat berry or quinoa, mashed sweet or white potatoes, and hummus.

** If you have a blender or nutri bullet, you can blend vegetables or fruits for healthy smoothies. I would suggest that you do a google search on each of those to see what tastes appeal to you.

The more prepared you are, the less stressed you will be

Regarding the use of the neti pot... please make sure you tell the surgeon you have been doing that and ask him if he thinks you should continue with that after the oral surgery or wait a few weeks. I cannot guide you on that because I will not know the findings of the surgery, so the surgeon will know best.

I do believe this surgery will be a positive turning point towards your recovery. Please keep in mind that you may not see too much improvement at the beginning and you will have a lot of healing to do. But things will hopefully improve soon and when they do it will be very noticeable and get progressively better.

Please try not to worry and please keep in touch with us ....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpei View Post
Thank you for your support and wise words, Bryanna. I had planned on making some homemade chicken soup this weekend for the upcoming week. I had not been planning weeks in advance, but perhaps I should? Maybe I should also make some minestrone soup that I love and freeze some of both... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use a netipot almost daily with a saline solution. Do you know if the oral surgeon will do anything to my sinus besides fill in the hole with the bone graft? I know he will debride and clean out the jaw bone that he has cut into, but I wonder if anything is also done to clean out the sinus cavity when you have a bone graft.

It is a bit scary to think about what is ahead, but I am praying that having this done will be a turning point for me in my recovery.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote